Sunday, March 29, 2009

So Pilgrim Chapel

This morning's sermon @ Pilgrim was about ego and basically the benefits of letting go of it. Our designated minster is out of town so today's minister was Chad Quick. He lives in Kentucky and his main job is Hospice work.
So after Chad finished the service the adults (approx 20, age 30 - 85) came down to the basement via the scary (esp if your are old or tall) steps to the basement.
Shad was just great entertainment at this coffee hour. And egoless is not the word anyone would choose to describe it. So it probably was not 5 minutes before Lee pointed out the newspaper picture above the food table. It was of Shad (in a leisure suit) shaking hands with some old guy. Also on the food table was one of those Arcadia book, this ones title: The Cincinnati Sound. So when Mindy (designated minister's DIL) and I were looking through the book we found another picture of Shad that we both thought "whoa" and "hollywood" .... in a dreamy way. When I showed it to Shad he was like "Oh yeah I was really handsome."
And then he said "there should be more pictures of me in there too." He is an incredible person and amazing story teller.
Here is a link to his website:
I knew he was famous before I read this today but I did not know how famous. Wow!
The pictures at the top of this entry are ones I copied from his website. I'm going to see if I download a picture of the bookcover.
So the reason for the title of this blog is not because many people are that famous or colorful. But this group is unique.
UPDATE : JUNE 6,2009 email from Bob Croskery.
A little after midnight, Howard Lovdal, whose public name was Shad O'Shea died at the VA Hospital.Shad had been a loyal "Pilgrim" for seven years. He had been one of my very dearest friends for more than 30 years.There is now a huge hole in the hearts of all of us who knew him and loved him.If you are among them, I do hope you will make a special effort to be at Pilgrim Chapel in the morning.If anywone were ever "truly alive," that person was Shad. Tomorrow, we celebrate LIFE!Bof
When I read this email today I gasped in shock. John can not believe this either. We both assumed Shad was traveling and that is why we had not seen him in the last couple weeks. What a fantastic guy. This afternoon on my way to the grocery store I saw a guy driving a white cadillac with a dog in the passenger seat (head in the wind) it gave me a lump in my throat. We were so lucky to know Shad even just a little bit.

No comments: