Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Today I bought Fall 2009 bulbs

After I took an inventory of the bulbs we have left (1st receipt was 3 weeks ago) I decided I better buy mine now. So today I bought 50 bulbs @ conservatory to plant in our garden and kitchen window boxes. In Spring 2010 I'm hoping to see: these muscari, an unusual species called Bellevailia Pycnantha. I will plant these on the front border of the courtyard tulips. These crocus will go in the courtyard near the lamppost as well as a few in the window boxes.
These Hyacinths (Peter Stuyvesant blue and Jan Bos red) are best sellers for the conservatory but I have not had much success in our garden. Most of mine have rotted. So I will be planting these in our window boxes. If they bloom they will provide a wonderful scent when we open the house in early spring.
I adore these little Leucojum. The picture does not do it justice but these delicate little flowers have the sweetest little green dots on each petal flair. And besides being easy to grow this this flower naturalizes! We already have these in the garden so I'm trying these in the window boxes and then will transplant in summer 2010. The soil on the lower perennial bed still needs more amendment's added so this will probably be all the bulbs I buy for fall. With the exception of tulips... I will most likely buy more tulips.
The horticulturist at work say Thanksgiving is not too late to plant but the weather already feels fall like now. I think I will wait until mid- October to plant.
Just to remember how far we have come I attached this picture from Summer 2006.

No comments: