Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve @ Nuckels

This last day of 2009 has already been "exciting" and it is only 8:30 am. Despite not sleeping well last night I willed myself to wake up at 5 am to go to the gym for Urban Iron class (weight training). Our gym is on the 2nd floor and ironically the only way to get there is by elevator. So this morning I got stuck in the elevator with my class instructor and an ultimate marathon couple. In Sesame Street lingo.... someone was not like the others. Anyhow, the situation got a little more interesting when the elevator emergency operator could not find our location to help us. Fortunately the front desk staff got us out and up to the 2nd floor via the other elevator. Also different today was there were only 12 people in class (about half as many as usual) which allowed our instructor more individual time to critique our form. Yikes.
So how I think my day will go at Krohn today... well the thing I'm looking forward to most is entering the final sales numbers. As of yesterday we were up +17%! Besides that and the fact we are ending with clean inventories we also brought up the average $ sold up. My boss and I were both pleased the Motawi tile sales this season. Motawi was new for us in November. Hopefully today I will be able to work on placing the balance of approved spring orders and work on recaps next week. When I couldn't sleep I started thinking about how different corporate politics is from non-profit which was also when I realized that I have worked with the park board longer than any other employer in my life. Also when I add the time I worked at the Zoo I'm close to same number of years working for a non-profit as I worked in corporate positions. The only other job I had prior to all this was waitressing for one semester. In some ways I was rather like Private Benjamin. This still seems crazy to me as I really had no clue what a job was like prior to graduating from college.
Tonight John is making pasta with jomama sauce and meatballs for dinner. Afterwards we plan on watching the 2nd half of a biography documentary on Truman, part of The Presidents series by American Experience. This PBS series was a Christmas gift from my parents this year. The series covers biographies of ten 20th C. presidents (T. Roosevelt to H. W. Bush) and it is fascinating. John and I had to take a couple days off after watching 2 nights on FDR because it was so thought provoking.
Who knows if my day will be anything like I expect, but one thing I'm fairly certain is that I will be in bed well before midnight. Just like last year.

No comments: