Saturday, October 18, 2008

Last Night's Preview @ CAM, China Design Now

Spouse and I had a really great time last night. We went to the art museum's preview party for a new exhibit on loan (1st time in US) from Victoria and Albert Museum called China Design Now. This exhibit opens October 18, 2008 and runs through January 11, 2009.
Here is the link to the Art Museum's website about the exhibit:
Well this exhibit is better than we imagined. But also a little crowded so we have to go back.
Below is a picture of the billboard signs promoting this exhibit.

Since we feel we will travel in the near future to China we were glad to see this open. It focuses on at least one town we are sure to visit when we go to get our baby, which is Beijing. Since a lot of the Beijing section, titled "Future City", focuses on architecture spouse was thrilled. I was interested too. We did watch the Olympics in August but wow .... the way this shows the progression of these buildings, in film and models, was great. Since Beijing will most likely be the first city we see in China we will most likely actually see these places too!

The other 2 cities featured in this exhibit are Shanghai and Shenzhen. We would love to see Shanghai when we go to China but it also won't be surprising if this is not possible. One of the blogs I read often, http://2happy.typepad.com/ has a daughter from Shenzhen, I actually remembered this because her daughter's name rhymes with Shenzhen.

Before we saw the exhibit we had appetizers, a glass of wine and listened to the Chinese orchestra. Then as we were standing in line spouse said oh look behind you. I turned around to see little Chinese girls who danced with the same parasols we sell in the gift shop. Well I got out of line to watch them. Adorable. Of course everyone was taking pictures around me so I hope to find something on you tube. The last thing I took out of my purse before coming to this party was my camera. Urghhh. Well probably just as well since I had to fight the tears.

Just this week I bought 3 parasols from the conservatory. One to decorate our baby's room. See below:

And the other two are going to be gifts for my nieces (12 and 10) this Christmas. As you can see from the pictures below, Miss Lucy had to get a good look at both of these parasols when I took them out to take a picture.

No comments: