Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day 2010

This weekend the weather has been unbelievably nice. Unfortunately, for me, I had to work all day Saturday as we are receiving holiday merchandise on top of regular fall fill ins and a huge Fall bulb order. Fortunately, for me, one of my co-workers brought 2 of her 3 daughters in to work on these orders. She said the 3rd daughter would come in Monday to finish. This is not the first time they have helped me out and I hope to buy all of them a thank you gift when we are in China. These next 2 pictures of close ups of Rudbeckia and Pansy in our window boxes off the kitchen.
Our Monday morning spinning class was cancelled because of Labor Day but we went to the gym to work out anyhow. We have just 2 weeks before the Douthat Race (John = 1/2 marathon and a 5 mile for me).
So after the gym we swung by the new neighborhood coffee shop, Bowtie Cafe. Yeah the coffee is good! This cafe seems to have a lot of potential to be an interesting place.
Then we worked in the garden. This next picture was taken after John cut the grass and I sucked up the leaves with the leaf blower. I also cleared the bed with the spent Rudbeckia. It's a little early to do this but I did it just in case we have a referral party this month. I think this party will more likely happen in October.
Here are some of the fall bulbs I have purchased from Krohn on Saturday. I'm kinda bored with Apeldorn tulips and only planting odd tulips species from now on. This red one is Couleur Cardinal. I also bought this Sorbet blend.
And then I'm going to plant these naturalizing tulips where the Allium were next to the lamppost.
These dwarf Iris, Harmony, bloom really early in spring and were good for us so I bought them again. I will plant these in front of the tulip beds.
For the front ceramic pots I bought these Heavenly blends of Hyacinth, daffodils and muscari. I've got one more ceramic pot to buy a blend for in the courtyard.

No comments: