Friday, February 6, 2009

Travels of Angelica

Last Friday spouse and I saw Travels of Angelica at the Playhouse.
Here is the description from the Playhouse website:
By Joseph McDonoughWINNER OF THE MICKEY KAPLAN NEW AMERICAN PLAY PRIZE 1657: A writer wanted for treason barely escapes from England with his daughter to start a new life with a new identity in Virginia. Can he outwit his blackmailing neighbor and escape capture before completing his most important work? 2008: Two graduate students come to Virginia in search of clues about this forgotten author, hoping to make an important literary discovery. As the play twists and turns between the past and present, this time-traveling tale explores history, hope, heart and the possibility of a remarkable future. A new play by Joseph McDonough, author of One and Stone My Heart. Travels of Angelica is suitable for adult audiences. It contains some adult language and mature themes.
We both enjoyed the play. But we almost missed it. That night we went to dinner @ the neighborhood Thai restaurant and since we had an hour before the play we stopped at the Wine Bar. Well we were having so much fun talking to one of our neighbors we didn't pay attention to the time. Spouse looked at me and said "We've got 7 minutes" and I replied "Until we have to leave" and then he said "No, until the play starts".
Well I was halfway down St Gregory street still putting on my coat and gloves when spouse caught up and then passed me. I could not believe we were going to blow $52 seats (yes this was going through my mind as I was running) because we were talking to friends. Humiliating.
Fortunately we made it in time, in fact we weren't the last to be seated. It also reinforced just how out of shape I am too. I have not run that far (and it wasn't far at all) in a really long time.
Like most of the plays at PIP this one kept your attention and was unpredictable. The 2nd act brought gasps from the twist in the plot.

No comments: